Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Getting REAL

Several of you have posted on getting REAL. Going a bit deeper in our blog posts to get REAL with those in our lives. How scary, right? I am thankful for REAL. I am thankful that it is scary.....it's scary because I am a sinner. But if REAL wasn't scary for me, then my need for my savior wouldn't be so amazing. So, I thought I would get REAL too. I am struggling through a busy week right now so I have no pictures to coincide with this post, but if you can imagine a really nasty looking heart, all black and hard....that would be my picture. My first REAL involves sin. Pride, arrogance and fear of man overflow from my heart and I struggle to beat them everyday. I am prideful and want others to like me and think of me as great. I arrogantly share my opinions and do not listen to others when I feel what I think is the ultimate right answer to all their problems. And then there is fear of man....when I think I have offended someone or that someone is thinking something other than great about me, I fear or crave their approval and start spinning my wheels to gain it all back. And in all of this I lose my joy. True joy only comes from realizing my position before Jesus Christ. Finding my place in His hand and resting in that fact that I am going to disappoint my friends, husband and children. And in my weakness I can only hope that they and I would see the Gospel more fully and rejoice in the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross. Above I italicized "I struggle to beat them everyday", this is my second REAL. "I" cannot beat them no matter how hard I try. Only Christ will beat them and I can cling to His promises of completing good works in me. Philippians 1:6 "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." I pray for this change everyday. I pray that He would continue to open my eyes to these sins and draw me closer to the cross because of them. I hope in His finished work and find joy in the promise He has made to me. This is my REAL.

6 comments:

Ginger said...

thanks for sharing billie-this is me too, only articulated a bit better. very encouraging.

Kate Van said...

be encouraged by the Hope we have bil. even when when we fail and are focused on our own selfish worlds, He is FAITHFUL according to 2 tim 2:13. love you

Jane said...

Billie thank you for your REAL.
I have so many REALS but to see how all of you bloggers are so quick to share TRUTH, leaves me with much hope!!!
I don't have a blog, but i to am struggling and when i view my heart, i see so ugly, how must my sweet Savior see it?
I'am so guilty of all that has been shared but i have to say, this has given me HOPE for TODAY!
Thanks to all of you for your Humility.. I love you all so much and need continued pary..
Mom, Jane,or A.Jane

Christina said...

Thanks for keeping it real!
I enjoy getting to know you more. God has created you with many gifts. Thank you for being open and sharing your life nnd gifts with others.It is a great encouragement to me. Love ya!
Christina

Lizzy said...

Bil ~ thank you for truly bearing your heart with your readers...and being soo real. I can totally relate to the struggle you have in wanting everyone to think of you as "great". Many times, I grow anxious in wanting to ask others' forgiveness not so much out of a humble, repentant heart but to "feel better" about myself and to look good in their eyes, once again. This a lustful craving of my heart and it was so refreshing to hear that others struggle with the same thing...and that there is hope and grace for genuine heart change because of Jesus and what HE accomplished on our behalf. Thank you very much, Billie, for sharing. love and respect you!

Katherine M. said...

Billy, I loved this post and the following one about the real that is happy and grateful. You have a beautiful family. I appreciate in you your love for the savior and love for others. Your life is a great testimony and brings God much glory. I am so moved by how you and Sara love God, your families and the church. It's been amazing to watch you go from young, single women to the godly young married women and moms you are today. Much love and miss you.