Monday, February 26, 2007

Happy Birthday Dad and Gramma



Iam a little late with this post and to be honest I just thought of posting it tonight but like they (who is they?) say, "better late than never". So, I am posting a Happy Birthday to the world's best Dad and Gramma. I have soooo many great memories of growing up with my Dad. I could talk for hours about all the fun we had with him. I never remember him not being home or when he was home I cannot remember him not playing with us in some sort of way. Even when we were older he would spend all his time at home with us. He built us so many forts and repaired our motorbikes, snowmobiles, cars, and anything else that ever broke. I never realized how great of a Dad he was until I became a Mom. There is something you see differently about your parents when you become a parent. I never knew how much he had to sacrafice for us. Because now I know what it is like to sacrafice for children. He also told us about the gospel. And although I didn't live a life modeling the gospel I knew Christ died for sinners and I was one of them. I love my Dad. "Safe" comes to mind when I think of him. I know that sounds funny but that discribes how I felt and how my life was growing up with him. There were times later on when we all went through some difficult things but the good FAR outway the bad. I could continue on but then I would lose you readers before you get the chance to hear about my Gramma. I know no other women as kind and faithfilled (is that a word?) as her. She has always been a best friend to me. I never thought of her as my best friend when I would have to name them but she really was. Growing up she taught me so much. All the "Gramma" stuff but also important things like caring for others and praying for people. She prays for everyone. I think she might have a direct line to Pat (you VA people know who I mean). Or she should for that matter for all the years she has faithfully gave to him and participated in his prayer chains. I love my Gramma. I am one of her favorites. I kinda like it to. We are alike, Gramma and I. I suppose I will be 80-something oneday driving all my grandkids nuts with snotrags all over the place and my teeth falling out. Until then I will enjoy the sweet memories I have of these two people whom I love and admire so much. I am proud to have been a VanRyckeghem and I can't wait until eternity when we will once again share everyday together (instead of miles apart). I love you two. Happy Birthday and may each day of this new year find you knowing our Savior more.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi BillieJeanne, I really enjoyed reading your blog today. I didn't know that you were so close to your Dad and found it very touching when you described your relationship. SAFE is the word that always comes to mind when I think of my Dad too. Love the pictures! Give everybody hugs and kisses from us! Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Great Post Sissy!! What a kind God we serve to give us such a rich childhood with mom and dad. Dad is so handsome!! I miss him so much. Safe is a great word to discribe dad. Or, "Pa Ingall's!!"
Love you,

Sissy

Anonymous said...

Billa;
Of course you've got me crying again(doesn't take much). You kids did have a wonderful childhood. Both your dad and mom modeled Godly living in so many ways (laying their lives down for you,having dinner together as a family just about every night, teaching you about the Savior and the importance of the local Church, and loads of fun too!). And your gramma was and is a wonderful saint we can all learn from. She taught us (along with grandpa Lyle of course) how to be hospitable by making her home a place where rich fellowship took place.
Thanks for the post. And Happy B-Day Bill and Martha!
Love,
A.Jen

Billie said...

Linda- Thanks so much for your encouraging comment. Dad's are great. I am so thankful that both (yours and mine) our little girls have amazing dads too. love you

A.Jenn and Sis- Sorry for the tears but they are great people and memories. All the things about Dad go along with Mom too. Our home was a wonderful place because of them. I am thankful for all of it. love you both

Anonymous said...

That is the best birthday gift a child/grandchild could ever give. I know that your Dad and Gramma were totally in tears. I can attest to the fact that your parents did an amazing job because of the type of persons that you, Sara and Clay are. You three are a testiment to how precious your childhood was. I love you, Billie. You were the daughter in my heart before you became my sweet son's wife and as I have told you before, I could not have hand-picked you any better that the perfect help mate for my son. Love and kisses to all of you, Love, Mom S.